Our specialty is the written word.
Hi. This website was created for a single purpose, to help individuals, companies, political campaigns and citizen movements get the assistance they need to produce more interesting, more compelling and more effective materials. To communicate their messaging and accomplish their objectives more effectively.
What do we write or edit?
That depends upon whether or not you’re one of our corporate, political or citizen activist clients.
“So, can you help me with my term paper?”
No. No thank you. Just to be clear, we don’t do student work. We don’t write college application essays or student papers. In general, we don’t “ghost write” anything for individuals, other than our corporate, political and community activist clients of course, who will be representing that they authored something we wrote for them. What we will do is review (edit) something you’ve written, even to the point of suggesting significant editorial changes, but short of recommending or making changes to its substantive content.
Resumes? We don’t do resumes simply because editing a resume is too small a job to justify the effort on our part or the costs you would incur.
Most of our customers are corporate, political or non-profit (“movement”) accounts. They are companies, political campaigns or community organizations that need help writing:
- Palm cards and pamphlets.
- Position papers.
- All sorts of marketing materials.
- Business plans and proposals you need for your clients or to raise capital for your company.
- Kickstarter and Indiegogo crowdsourcing campaigns.
- Materials for prospective lenders, investors or contributors.
- Website content.
- Press releases.
- Radio and television ad copy.
- Management, administrative and sales materials for your executives and staff.
- All manner of other documents for in-house and public distribution, as long as they’re not technical.
We’ll even edit or write whole books, provided they do not require an extended, full-time commitment that might interfere with our ability to support our other clients.
(Clicking on the cartoons makes them larger.)
If what you need is something we don’t think we can do well, we’ll tell you.
We edit and we write. If you need art and/or printing services, we can help you by giving you a referral or contracting the work out under our supervision. Or we can work with teams of design and production specialists that you assemble or already have in-house.
We also do research provided our sources do not require special technical or other education on our part, or original data collection beyond what a survey research firm or pollster can help us develop.
We’re certainly not a free service, but we’re affordable and well worth the money. Precisely how much we charge depends upon the nature of the work you need done.
- Are we just reviewing and perhaps editing something you’ve already drafted, or are we starting from scratch to create an original piece based on your notes and/or requiring original research to support its premise?
- Is it ad copy for a 30 second spot, or a twenty-minute speech?
- Is it something we can help you write over the phone, video conferencing and through email or do you want us to work with you in person? Someplace distant from our base of operations in Maryland?
- How much can you afford? Yes, the extent of your resources is also something we take into account. The fact is, profits we make working on more substantial engagements with our corporate accounts make it possible for us to price our services more affordably for less well-funded campaigns, community organizations and other non-profits.
The point is that we estimate the cost of our services on a case-by-case basis. Some projects may involve out-of-pocket expenses for travel, consultants, polling and materials, for example – all of which you will need to approve in advance. In other cases, we may even do a first job “on spec,” that is, for free to prove the value of what Writeaway has to offer.
Work gets under way as soon as you’ve approved our engagement memo, including its description of what we’ll do for you and how much we’ll charge. Materials we send you for review will usually be watermarked PDF files. Depending upon the extent of the work we do, we’ll bill you on a weekly or bi-weekly basis, with partial or final payment due upon receipt of each invoice. Final draft material will be sent as soon as we’ve been paid in full. Payments for smaller jobs are made via credit or debit card on-line, right here at our website. Otherwise, by corporate or campaign check.
When we agree to do something, there will be no formal contracts you need your lawyer to review, heaven forbid. Instead, we’ll send you an engagement memo, via email, outlining what we’re going to do, including the cost and schedule for completion. When we agree on the language of the memo, you’ll acknowledge it and that’s that.
Are you worried that we might not be a good fit for your firm or campaign? That’s perfectly understandable, which is why, for qualified clients for whom we might reasonably expect to do repeat business, we’ll consider doing our first assignment for free to prove the quality of our work.
Everything we do for you is kept in the strictest confidence. We’re a backroom service. We’re not interested in notoriety. If you want to refer someone else to Writeaway, that’s great, but we’re never going to use the work we do for you to advertise our services. Your business is just that, nobody else’s but yours.
Where do we work?
For the most part, we work at our offices and communicate with our clients over the phone, visually using Zoom or FaceTime, or via email. If, on the other hand, you want us working at your offices, directly with your executives and staff, or we need to visit a site related to the engagement, we’re good to go.
“Okay, I like what I’ve read so far. How do I proceed?”
It’s simple. Just send us an email to Contact@Writeaway.us or call us at 443-844-3160. Evenings and weekdays are fine. We’re working all the time. If you get voicemail, just leave a message and we’ll call you back, usually within 24 hours.
Thanks for stopping by. We’re looking forward to hearing from you.
P.S. Click here for a list of other articles you might want to read.